It’s no secret, I am a slow runner. Heck, this blog is aptly named Slow Mo Mother Runner for a reason! Anyhow, I’m nearly finished with my second month of marathon training and I can’t help but feel the looming doubt creep in. I feel like I am getting slower!
How come I’m not getting faster?! One month ago I was regularly seeing 10:10-10:40 splits for my 5ks and felt I was on the right track, but today I am struggling to hit sub 11:00 splits. I’m not quite sure what is going on, but I want to make a change. I want to be faster!
I’ve been considering changing up my training, but am not quite sure where to begin. This whole running thing is still fairly new to me and when I look at training plans and various routines to get faster I begin to get a touch confused and overwhelmed. Another factor could be that my body needs more fuel. I recently discovered that my RMR is 1590 and I’m typically consuming that amount of calories which means I am falling short and my body might be fighting me.
I went for a short mile run the other day just to see how fast I could go if i was going at a slightly higher pace than normal. I ran the mile in 9:41. Nothing too crazy, but it did show me that my body is capable of going faster. Now, it’s a matter of building the endurance at that pace and then working on increasing said pace.
Are you trying to get speedier? What has worked for you?
With 9 days to go until my first ever marathon I can’t help but think about goals and how awesome it feels to accomplish them. Last year I set a HUGE goal to run a marathon and began training in July of 2013.
Today, I’m just 9 days away from completing that goal. I am nervous. I am excited. I am READY. I’ve spent the past 6 months training for ONE race. The race. Hell, I have butterflies in my stomach as I type this post. I can’t believe the time is almost here. In just nine days (God willing), I will be able to wear my medal proudly and shout “I did it! I ran a freaking marathon!”
This will be my first accomplished Fit Goal of 2014! It’s not my only goal though, I have many more and honestly believe that with hard work and dedication I will accomplish each and every one of them.
2014 Fit Goals
- Run the entire Walt Disney World Marathon on January 12, 2014
- Sign-up for and complete either the Wineglass or Empire State Marathon.
- Sign-up and complete a Tough Mudder or similar obstacle race.
- Sign-up and PR in at least one Half-Marathon.
- Complete at least one unassisted pull-up.
- Run faster/more frequently (aim to triple mileage).
- Complete 1 round of p90x3.
- Sign-up for and complete a few 5k races.
- Eat cleaner! I struggle with this one and often fall off into old habits.
- Start biking during the warm months.
- Sign-up for the 100 mile Ride for Life
- Lose the weight/lose inches–ideal weight=150lbs, size 6/8
- Sleep more!
- Blog more about fitness! (not really a fit goal, but related–I’d like to make sure to keep you updated on my progress and struggles)
There you have it! I’m so ready to bust through these goals! What are your fit goals for 2014? Are you setting big goals or small goals?